Networker

Re: [Networker] Hardware and software upgrade, which version?

2007-01-15 08:26:00
Subject: Re: [Networker] Hardware and software upgrade, which version?
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 08:17:38 -0500
On Jan 15, 2007, at 4:29 AM, Manel Rodero wrote:

Hello,

I'm in the process of upgrading our backup server to a new hardware. At the same time I'll upgrade the OS to Windows Server 2003 (the actual server is Windows 2000).

But my question is related to which version must we upgrade to? Which is the actual "best" version of Legato Networker? (in terms of stability, related problems, etc.). Our server and clients are running 7.1.4 version now.

And, which is the best procedure for do this upgrade? This one?

- Uninstall 7.1.4 from the old server maintaining the index, ...
- Copy these files to the new server
- Install the new version of Legato in the same directory

Or another approach is better?

I suggest a different approach. Try at all costs to avoid migrating to a new server AND upgrading to a different NetWorker version at the same time. If NetWorker 7.1.4 is compatible with your new hardware, I suggest you not upgrade to a new NetWorker version until you have had time to do at least two or three full backup cycles on the new hardware with 7.1.4 and test the ability to recover data. Check the compatibility guide to see if 7.1.4 is okay on your new hardware.

If that works, then its time to upgrade to a newer version. NetWorker 7.2.2 is widely regarded as the most stable version. If you need features in the latest version, then upgrade to it, but check the archives and the NetWorker release notes first to make sure there are no known bugs that would be a deal breaker for you.