Networker

[Networker] Stage or Clone, from DX5000 to i500

2007-01-10 10:33:26
Subject: [Networker] Stage or Clone, from DX5000 to i500
From: Austin Spencer <aspencer AT NEWMARKETINC DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 10:13:26 -0500
Hello all,

  I'm am currently updating all of our backup hardware/software on site.
And I'm trying to figure out the best way of going about this. I've
searched the archive for staging/cloning and info but I can't seem to find
how to properly accomplish the task. We've recently upgraded to NetWorker
7.3.2, and the goal is to have a full weekend backup go to our virtual tape
library (dx5000), then when the full weekend backup has completed. Take
whatever volumes where involved and then either stage or clone them to the
physical tape library for offsite.
   Now the initial backup to the virtual tapes is easy enough and is
working fine. What is the best way however to then get the exact data
copied to tapes for offsite.
   Regarding retention, I'd like to keep no more then one full weekend's on
the virtual tapes. So they get overwritten each weekend. Yet make sure
Networker keeps the indexes for the physical tapes so it can restore
specific files if needed and know where they're at.
   Hope this all makes sense, let me know and I'll try to provide more
detail if needed. Oh on a side note it's going from the same type to media
on each. Virtual lto3 to physical lto3, so it should result in exact copy.
I would assume. Anyway thank you!