Networker

Re: [Networker] Resetting tape exiration date

2007-01-04 13:27:50
Subject: Re: [Networker] Resetting tape exiration date
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 10:23:35 -0800
> Is there an easy way to reset the expiration date of a Tape Volume (or
> rather a list of tapes) ???
> I have a number of tapes (all in a common pool) which I must reset the
> expiration dates to 'forever'....
>
> The only method I am finding is via an 'nsrmm -S ssid -e retention'
> command... I would hate to have to do this one save-set at a time, the
> number of tapes I have to process contain thousands of save-sets....

You could cheat and just do one.

A volume won't become recyclable (E) until the last saveset on it
becomes recyclable.  (Presumably it's the saveset data on the volume you
care about anyway, right?  So you generally do want to modify the
savesets.)

If your sure you've got all the tapes, you could just increase the
retention of one saveset on each and make sure that saveset doesn't get
deleted in the future.

> There must be a better way than to do it by individual save-sets. Is there a
> single command to reset the volume retention for a tape ?

No.  A volume doesn't have a retention period.  Data (in the form of
savesets) has a retention.

nsrim will dynamically discover when all the savesets have expired and
mark the volume expired.

Scripting a bulk 'nsrmm' to change lots of savesets shouldn't be that
much trouble either.