Networker

Re: [Networker] Directed recover to new disk

2006-12-15 10:22:57
Subject: Re: [Networker] Directed recover to new disk
From: Jason Kölker <jason AT KOELKER DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 09:08:49 -0600
On Fri, 2006-12-15 at 09:36 -0500, K D wrote:
> Can't I
> simply partition this disk identical to that which crashed and perform
> directed recover of Server A's OS and data to this disk?  (After
> mouting the
> partitions onto the host machine.)  Once the new disk has all of
> Server A's
> info, shouldn't I just be able to plug it into Server A and go?

Assuming a Linux/Unix style system, yes.  You'll also need to install
some sort of boot loader on the disk after the restore.  This can get
tricky with grub, since the disk is in a different location than it will
be when it is booted.

I've done this before with Linux and Solaris, but in my infinite wisdom
didn't keep any notes about the boot loader fun.  That's what google is
for! ;)

Happy Hacking!

7-11