Networker

Re: [Networker] NetWorker on Intel-based Mac

2006-12-14 14:42:45
Subject: Re: [Networker] NetWorker on Intel-based Mac
From: David Johnson <davidj AT ICSI.BERKELEY DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 11:35:08 -0800

    Stan> On Dec 13, 2006, at 5:14 PM � 12/13/06, Preston de Guise
    Stan> wrote:
    >> Hi Eddie,
    >>
    >> On 14/12/06 8:01 AM, "Albert Eddie Contractor AFRPA CIO/IT"
    >> <Eddie.Albert AT AFRPA.PENTAGON.AF DOT MIL> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Preston, I love your posts! They give me a reason to reply to
    >>> the list!
    >>>
    >>> A power PC client in 7.3.2 before a Mac Intel Client.
    >>>
    >>> All I can tell you is given the release time of the Mac Intel
    >>> machines, although it is an emerging technology, the Power PCs
    >>> have been around longer and it is quite simply a numbers
    >>> thing. I am certain there are "currently" more PPC clients in
    >>> the Networker world then there are Intel Mac.
    >> Ah, I think you missed my point.
    >>
    >> The Mac OS X PPC client has been around for quite some time,
    >> and (admitting my bias here) being a Mac devotee I've been
    >> using it for a couple of years at least now.
    >>
    >> My point was that customers that I talk to find it very galling
    >> that at the same time EMC were not working on an Intel client
    >> for Mac OS X, they released a PPC client for Linux ... i.e.,
    >> Linux on PPC architecture.

    Stan> I agree. I did submit a request via the EMC CustomerNet web
    Stan> site to request information on when, or if, an Intel-based
    Stan> Mac OS X version would be available. I also mentioned in
    Stan> that request that I am interested in a FreeBSD client. I put
    Stan> that request at level S4 and it disappeared from my EMC
    Stan> portal a day or two later. I have not received a response.

We use the Linux client on FreeBSD using the FreeBSD Linux emulation
and it seems to work reasonably well with the command line tools.
We've done some restores which have gone fine, but I suggest testing
it reasonably well as obviously this is not a supported option!  I
think we used 7.2.2 or something around there as the client.  It
doesn't work on old FreeBSD clients (4.x??) without a small kernel
patch that we developed locally.  I can send that to you if it would
help (I think it's only a few lines to add an extra system call).

Oh, and we got it to install by installing it on a Linux machine,
tar'ing up the instaleld files and then untaring onto FreeBSD and
manually sorting out the rc stuff.  I can't remember whether we ran it
between installing and tar'ing it up - I'm guessing we didn't.

The Feral Software FreeBSD client at ftp://ftp.feral.com/pub/legato didn't
work with 7.3.1 for us after we'd used it with 6.x for years.  We
had a similar problem with 6.0 clients on Solaris clients.  We've not
tried any of them with 7.3.2 as we'd upgraded everything by the time
that came out.

David.
--
David Johnson, davidj AT ICSI.Berkeley DOT EDU, (510) 666-2983
System Manager, International Computer Science Institute