Networker

Re: [Networker] What's EMC/NetWorker's answer to Symantec's NetBackupencryption on the backup server

2006-12-14 02:42:59
Subject: Re: [Networker] What's EMC/NetWorker's answer to Symantec's NetBackupencryption on the backup server
From: Curtis Preston <cpreston AT GLASSHOUSE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 02:35:52 -0500
>Curtis Preston, who seems to have resurfaced on this list, has a great
>shtick about Brown (i.e. UPS) handling tapes.

Yeah, yeah...  I'm all about the stories. ;)

>I think it's really good that NetWorker 7.3 has that encryption
support,
>for sites that have modest needs for backup encryption.  If you deal
with

I would say the same about Symantec's media server encryption option.
If you can't afford the hardware option, you've got this.  It's not
going to be as fast, but that may be OK for you.  Just also remember
that anything that encrypts before the tape drive will also cause you to
lose compression.  Encrypted data can't be compressed.

>There have been discussions in the past about hardware devices that can
be
>inserted in the I/O path between the backup host and the tape devices,
and

Decru and Neoscale.  If you need high-end encryption that doesn't slow
down your backups or make you lose compression, they're it.  (They have
a compression chip like tape drives that compresses before they
encrypt.)