Networker

Re: [Networker] What's EMC/NetWorker's answer to Symantec's NetBackup encryption on the backup server

2006-12-13 15:14:21
Subject: Re: [Networker] What's EMC/NetWorker's answer to Symantec's NetBackup encryption on the backup server
From: Albert Eddie Contractor AFRPA CIO/IT <Eddie.Albert AT AFRPA.PENTAGON.AF DOT MIL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 14:58:59 -0500
First of all; I agree 100% that ViruScan duties should not be on the
Backup Server but should be on the server you are backing it up from.

As someone who has designed anti-virus/security plans it is infinitely
easier to do this on a per server basis (exclude certain files for
Oracle, SQL, Exchange, etc) vs trying to do this for ONE backup server.
The data needs to be CLEAN when it is sent to the backup server.

Now off-loading encryption to the backup server... Does that make sense?

Depends on how you setup your archive & backup operations. It further
depends on the encryption requirements of where the data resides. If you
are required to encrypt data at a field office, there is no sense
passing the data in the clear and then re-encrypting on the backup
server side.

What we need in the Archive/Backup arena is what everyone in the IT
world needs. Forget CPU speed, (with rare occasions our CPUs stay under
20% utilization 24/7/365) Forget Memory, how many people have a PC let
alone a server that is at 80% of memory capacity for any length of time?
No one I know...

Our bottleneck is I/O speeds...

Forget the CPU, Forget the Memory, give me some I/O hardware designed by
the people who brought us the $100+k Ford GT, The Ferraris, or any
number of exotics. These people understand that it is worth $10k-$20k to
save one tick on the stopwatch. Give me unadulterated SPEED at the I/O
and most of our woes will handle themselves...

By Eddie Albert

Eddie Albert has been a contributing editor to Ahoy Magazine.
You will find most of Mr. Albert's stories in the circular file.
All names and trademarks are the property of their owners.
All opinions expressed or implied are those of Mr. Albert and therefore
FOR RENT!

Semper Fidelis et Paratus! /ALE

Eddie Albert, Archiving Deity
Enterprise Network Engineer
(703) 696-5509

P.S. YES I am still looking for a job. NO I have no intention of
applying at the Comedy Club or CNET.