Networker

Re: [Networker] NetWorker on Intel-based Mac

2006-12-13 14:34:14
Subject: Re: [Networker] NetWorker on Intel-based Mac
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 06:23:53 +1100
On 13/12/06 4:40 AM, "Stan Horwitz" <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote:

>>> I only tried it with a a few GB worth of files, but it worked
>>> fine. What makes no sense though to me is why NetWorker 7.2.2 for
>>> Windows would work in a virtualized Windows Vista environment on
>>> my MacBook Pro, but not when I tried the Mac OS X client on the
>>> very same hardware! Go figure!
>>
>> But wasn't it a PPC (only) client that you were running on your MBP?
>> Sounds like the PPC emulation later (Rosetta, IIRC) isn't doing
>> something
>> that the PPC client needs.
>
>  From the looks of a core dump, its a problem with memory management
> or threading. You're right though that the use of a PPC app here is
> not playing nice with Rosetta, or the other way around.

Probably chiming in a little late, this is something which I've brought up
on the list before, and has recently been posted by others (Tim Nicholson,
from memory). It's something my customers are starting to get frustrated
about, as they're seeing more Intel Macs deployed.

When talking to product management what was frustrating was the response
"engineering says to run it under Rosetta --- it will be slow, but at least
it will work"; this was frustrating because it meant they hadn't even
listened to what the problem was!

OK, yes, the following can be answered with "must have been a good deal
relying on it", but it is difficult to understand why time/effort was
expended in creating a Linux PPC client (7.3.2) at the same time that no
effort had been expended to create a Mac Intel client.

Cheers,

Preston.

--
http://enterprise.backup.googlepages.com