Networker

Re: [Networker] Holiday Shutdown?

2006-12-12 10:35:16
Subject: Re: [Networker] Holiday Shutdown?
From: "Browning, David" <DBrown AT LSUHSC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 09:33:35 -0600
We traditionally have off the week between Christmas and New Year's (an
academic tradition, apparently), but that doesn't prevent us from
running backups and making sure out data is secure.  I've been here for
the past 8 Christmas seasons, and haven't gotten a full vacation yet.

I don't want to come off too smug, or arrogant, but have they really
thought this through??  Is your data not considered critical?? I just
can't believe that somebody would say don't worry about not performing
backups in this day and age. I see that you have concerns, as you
should.

In our case, we just take turns working from home.  The vast majority of
time, it's not a big deal, but there are times when a tape might get
stuck, or something needs to get rebooted.   We just chalk it up to
being part of the job.   We don't get comp time, but then I've found in
most academic environments, most people aren't watching what time you
clock in anyway.

Best of luck to you - I don't envy your position.  Personally, I find a
way to make sure backups are done - EVERY NIGHT.  One thing that Katrina
taught us, was that you want to always have the most recent backup.  And
while it isn't Hurricane season, there's always the chance of fire,
snow, rain, whatever kind of disaster you can think of, right around the
corner.

Happy Holidays!

David M. Browning Jr.
LSUHSC Enterprise Network Operations/Help Desk