Networker

Re: [Networker] Disk Backup Advice

2006-12-11 21:36:57
Subject: Re: [Networker] Disk Backup Advice
From: Siobhán Ellis <siobhanellis AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 13:29:24 +1100
So, you are going to backup systems across the network to a network mounted
disk farm. Therein lies a problem!

Then you are going to clone (not stage?) to tape by pulling the data across
the network again?

My basic question is, why are you going to backup to disk?

As for your device, make sure it has some form of RAID, and it should be
RAID3 at a minimum (Good for large block IO's)

Siobhan Ellis
IDATA Integrity Pty Ltd
Sydney

On 12/12/06 9:55 AM, "Tony Skalski" <ajs AT STOLAF DOT EDU> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> We are taking the plunge into disk backup and are looking for advice on
> some initial setup options. We have a single Networker 7.2.1 server on RH9 (to
> be updated to the latest 7.2.x before proceeding).
>
> We backup approx 40 Linux, NetWare, Mac and Windows boxes, a few MS-SQL
> servers,
> and an Oracle DB, however the latter is just a file backup of the backup
> performed by Oracle's tools. All told, about 6TB in a monthly cycle of one
> full
> and incrementals. We currently use three tape pools: full, incremental, and DB
> (for the databases), however, we are open to changing this if another
> arrangement is preferable. Our plan is to backup to disk at night and then
> script the cloning process during the day.
>
> We will be backing up to one or more NFS-mounted file systems on another box
> with a lot of disk (12 x 750GB SATA). I am looking for recommendations on
> partitioning: what filesystem to use, how many partitions to create, whether
> or
> not the partitions should correspond with media pools, with the goals of
> performance and spreading the load over the 12 disks as evenly as practical.
>
> Thanks!
>
> ajs

Siobhán