Networker

[Networker] Disk Backup Advice

2006-12-11 18:01:29
Subject: [Networker] Disk Backup Advice
From: Tony Skalski <ajs AT STOLAF DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 16:55:04 -0600
Greetings,

We are taking the plunge into disk backup and are looking for advice on
some initial setup options. We have a single Networker 7.2.1 server on RH9 (to be updated to the latest 7.2.x before proceeding).

We backup approx 40 Linux, NetWare, Mac and Windows boxes, a few MS-SQL servers,
and an Oracle DB, however the latter is just a file backup of the backup
performed by Oracle's tools. All told, about 6TB in a monthly cycle of one full
and incrementals. We currently use three tape pools: full, incremental, and DB
(for the databases), however, we are open to changing this if another
arrangement is preferable. Our plan is to backup to disk at night and then
script the cloning process during the day.

We will be backing up to one or more NFS-mounted file systems on another box
with a lot of disk (12 x 750GB SATA). I am looking for recommendations on
partitioning: what filesystem to use, how many partitions to create, whether or
not the partitions should correspond with media pools, with the goals of
performance and spreading the load over the 12 disks as evenly as practical.

Thanks!

ajs
--
Tony Skalski