Networker

Re: [Networker] desktop backup software

2006-12-09 16:10:30
Subject: Re: [Networker] desktop backup software
From: Oscar Olsson <spam1 AT QBRANCH DOT SE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 22:07:44 +0100
On 2006-12-08 21:43, Curtis Preston revealed:

CP> >I do agree with you that business information should not reside on any
CP> >PC, but a lot of users do not respect or understand that which is why
CP> >they create software like these. ;)
CP>
CP> Which is why I disagree with the "it's up to the user to backup their
CP> PC" mentality.  Business data is ALWAYS on laptops.  Every survey shows
CP> that a significant portion of every company's IP is only on a desktop or
CP> laptop at any given time.  And (IMHO) adopting a "it's up to them to
CP> back it up" is not looking after the company's data.  It's a head in the
CP> sand approach.

Agreed. But on the other hand, if you're using Windows, why spend time,
effort and money on 3rd party backup software? Just use the briefcase or
offline files feature in windows, and do backups of your file server. That
ofcourse requires users to put important files in a certain folder, while
providing the users an opportunity not to back up less important files,
like their latest tvtorrents.com .torrent and data collection, and mp3
collection (pretty common if you work in the field :) ).

//Oscar