Networker

Re: [Networker] desktop backup software

2006-12-08 23:27:41
Subject: Re: [Networker] desktop backup software
From: Steven Weller <sdweller AT SBCGLOBAL DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 20:22:19 -0800
There are of course a lot of options out there and it
really is just a matter of understanding what you are
after.
Retrospect fits very well into this scenario as it is
inexpensive and designed to address laptops that are
intermittently networked.
If a laptop is connected to the network and notices it
has not been backed up for some time it will
automatically start a backup. Now you can imagine that
during a corporate wide mandatory conference call that
this could crush a Retrospect server, trying to back
up 1500 laptops simultaneously, so it throttles by
looking to see which machine has gone the longest
since the last time it was backed up and queues them
in that order. Now you can set priorities and such and
there are a lot of things you can do to customize but
it is relatively easy to use when you compare it to
any enterprise level backup software.
Also worth considering, since we're here right now,
Avamar. It has the de-duplication also so you *really*
only back up the data once, regardless of who it
belongs to or where it comes from.