Networker

Re: [Networker] Max size for server side directives?

2006-12-08 13:44:49
Subject: Re: [Networker] Max size for server side directives?
From: "Reed, Ted G [IT]" <Ted.Reed AT SPRINT DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 11:36:19 -0600
It was the 1024 character limitation of UNIX that bit us.  Since a server-side
directive is spelled out in all it's gory details as a switch on the command
line 'save' executable, if the directive is too long it will cause the save
command to be over the 1024 char limit.  However, we did find a partial work
around thru judicious use of the "forget" function of the directives.  We had
some large oracle instances where we couldn't list out every single filesystem
we wanted to skip (null actually), and we couldn't skip just /oracle because of
the data they did want to capture under that path.  I've appended the pertinent
sections (based off Unix Standard directive, fyi) to the bottom of my response.
 As for client side directives, since they are read on the fly by the save
process, they never get dumped to command line and therefore never exceed any
type of character limit.

<< /oracle/g01 >>
        +null: .?* *
<< /oracle/g01/3rdparty >>
        forget
<< /oracle/g01/admin >>
        forget
<< /oracle/g01/software >>
        forget
NOTE:  like all directives, "forget" does just this directory....."+forget"
applies to the sub dirs as well.