Networker

Re: [Networker] NDMP - tar versus dump

2006-12-08 04:19:10
Subject: Re: [Networker] NDMP - tar versus dump
From: Stuart Whitby <swhitby AT DATAPROTECTORS.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 09:11:00 -0000
You can't take ndmp backups between different systems?  Any idea why?

AFAIC, and I haven't tested this in any way, an ndmp backup is a standard way
of backing up files.  Getting back those files should follow the same standard.
 As such, the only problem that I'd maybe expect to see with the restore of
these files would be with ownership and file permissions, and not with the data
- the same problem that you'd get with tar, actually.  Or is it an "underlying
filesystem" thing?

Okay, I know this isn't specifically a NetWorker question, but I'd just be
interested to have this clarified.  It's certainly something which we may have
to do as backup admins at some point...

Cheers,

Stuart.