Networker

[Networker] NDMP - tar versus dump

2006-12-07 14:57:06
Subject: [Networker] NDMP - tar versus dump
From: Jim Ruskowsky <jimr AT JEFFERIES DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 09:31:21 -0500
We are setting up NDMP backup from our celerra (DDS attached LTO3 drives,
2gbit fibre channel) and have the option of either dump or tar.  Both seem
to work, I don't see major differences in the time to backup between the
two.  I'm seeing throughput averaging about 35MB/sec for both methods on a
single datamover.

Any reason to go with one method over the other?
Any tricks to improving the throughput?

Thanks
Jim

Jefferies archives and reviews outgoing and incoming e-mail.  It may be
produced at the request of regulators or in connection with civil litigation.
Jefferies accepts no liability for any errors or omissions arising as a result
of  transmission. Use by other than intended recipients is prohibited.