Networker

Re: [Networker] How to refresh client information

2006-12-04 16:03:48
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to refresh client information
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 14:54:23 -0600
In regard to: Re: [Networker] How to refresh client information, Davina...:

Tim Mooney wrote:
In regard to: Re: [Networker] How to refresh client information, Davina...:

I don't think this ever gets updated. It is set when you first create the client. I have tried in the past to update this using nsradmin but it refuses to do it - I think it is read-only data. Raise a bug with EMC if you feel strongly about it.

Now I've seen everything.  Davina was wrong about something
Networker-related!  ;-)

By the way - I'm taking that as a compliment, I hope that's OK with you.

You should, since that's exactly the way it was meant.  I know an
awful lot about NetWorker, but I've occassionally posted something to
this list that turned out to be incorrect.  I've never once seen you
do that.  Til now.  ;-)  It appears that it's not really your fault, but
I'm still going to count it as the first evidence of imperfection.  ;-)

I have just had a look at a 7.2.1 Solaris server, and many of the
clients have no information whatsoever about the NetWorker version, OS
type etc. Am I missing something here?

I'm not sure why you have clients that aren't filling in the "client OS
type", "NetWorker version", etc, but ours always have.  The only time
we see a client with no information in those fields is when it's
new and hasn't yet been backed up.  Right now, all 116 of our clients
have both OS and client version filled in and current.

I am still confused. I have checked on the Linux server in my own office
which runs NW 7.2.1, and all my clients (including the one for the server)
show the NetWorker version and OS fields as blank. Are we looking at
something here that is version specific or platform specific?

I was wondering that too.  We started with DEC's rebranded version of
NetWorker in the 3.x days, and we carried the same NetWorker database from
4.2.6 to 5.2.  I had to do a disaster recovery at 5.2, so a fresh install
followed by an mmrecov.  I know that the client information was getting
updated in the res file on the server at 5.2, but I can't say for certain
whether that was the case before the disaster recovery or after.

We switched from the DEC product to the true NetWorker product at 5.5.x,
and then did upgrades into the 6.1.x series, and client info was getting
updated throughout those upgrades.  At that point we switched from DEC's
UNIX to Linux for our server, so another fresh install and quite a lot of
"scanner" after that to get the saveset and media information we needed
onto the Linux server.  It's been upgrades to 7.1.3 and now 7.2.2 since
then, and again the server has always updated the client information in
the res file.

So we've used two different brandings of NetWorker on two different server
platforms, and as far back as 5.2, it's always "just worked" for us.

So, a probe won't do it but a backup that can successfully connect to
the client will, even before the backup finishes.

I guess that means that your server is 7.2.2 as well. Perhaps I should
upgrade and see if it changes.

I doubt it.  7.2.2 has been quite stable for us (as good or better than
7.2.1), but if it hasn't worked for you in the past, I don't think 7.2.2
is going to fix that.

Like I said in my previous email, I relied on the client version
information that was stored in the server's res file for years, until
you posted the snippet about how to ask the client directly.  I still
use the server's info from time to time.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                           Tim.Mooney AT ndsu DOT edu
Information Technology Services                      (701) 231-1076 (Voice)