Networker

Re: [Networker] 7.3.2 list of known problems

2006-12-04 15:34:03
Subject: Re: [Networker] 7.3.2 list of known problems
From: Scott Harney <scott_harney AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 14:18:39 -0600
Peter Viertel wrote:
when configuring an ACSLS silo with 7.3.2  it has a bug where it gets
the drives mixed up unless the silo addresses are used in a particular
sorted order...

we worked around this by defining all our drives in the order of their
silo addresses treated alphabetically... but when we want to add a new
drive in the future we will be forced to remove all the drives and add
them again.

I get the feeling I'm the only person stupid enough to attempt setting
up an SL8500 with 7.3.2 so far...

You're not. We've got older 9310 silos with ACSLS as well and have problems like yours. I've also dealt with ACSLS on an SL8500 with networker 7.3.x at our Disaster Recovery site. I have an RFE in to allow dynamically adding drive paths for ACSLS-managed silos. Kinda painful to have to redo the entire "jbconfig" just to add a Dedicated Storage node. I believe someone who reads and posts to this list is working on my RFE case, actually.

here's another one. If one of your drives has a problem and ACSLS dutifully reports it back to networker, networker will not put the drive in service after 10 tries (we reduced that setting from the default 20 retries to 10). Networker is relying on I/O errors to do this, apparently, and doesn't recognize the ACSLS network communication as a drive failure. I've had networker try to load the same tape in the same drive hundreds of times, receive the error from ACSLS, and keep on trying. You have to manually offline the drive or put it in service mode.

Here's another one. If you have a drive with such a problem, and you've disabled it, and you happen to restart nsrd, the silo will not reach the "ready" state. ACSLS will report the error with the drive and networker will not enable the silo due to the error message. It never verifies that the ACSLS drive name matches a disabled path in its configuration before proceeding.