Networker

Re: [Networker] 7.3.2 list of known problems

2006-11-30 20:45:02
Subject: Re: [Networker] 7.3.2 list of known problems
From: Randy Doering <rdoering2 AT VERIZON DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 20:37:26 -0500
2.  Every now and again, the label information is lost for a tape and
the tape needs to be re-inventoried.  I think this may be the same issue
as #5 with the media index.  The tape label itself is fine, but
networker needs to collect the information again.  The problem is that
the tape(s) will not be used by networker until this happens and tape
requests remain pending.

Completely agree with this one. And you have to go to the gst to tell it where the Location is supposed to be and then do the "nsrjb -I -S xyz" to get he Inventory done right. There have always been 2 tapes that almost daily need this to be done.]

3.  This may be the same as #6, I have to use the same tape drive for
any one tape pool labeling, relabeling activity.  In other words, it has
to be done one at a time to work from beginning to end.  If I let
networker choose to use more than one tape drive per pool, it becomes
confused and will not label some of the tapes.  The affected tapes need
to be done again.  Again, there is nothing wrong with the media or its
barcode.

I've noticed this once because I had alot of tapes to label at the time, but haven't seen it since.

4.  NMC does not display what is really happening in the group details
window under monitoring.  It will not display any save set actually
being processed, however it does know that the group is still in
process. If I check the mounted tapes for the pool, I can see data being
written by the percentage change and which save set is being processed.

With Monitoring, I see that in the "Waiting to run" pain shows an NDMP client there with a "Contacting Client" message until much late than expected. This is typically on a file system with a large number of file (>=70+M).

5.  NMC will get hosed up and require not only a shutdown of the user
interface, but most times it requires the stop and restart of the gst
process.  Right now I have gst running on the networker server.

When NMC gets hosed, it shows "Transmitted data complete" and is then completely unresponsive. I need to go to Task Manager and kill the process and restart the NMC.

Patti Clark
Unix System Administrator - RHCT
Office of Scientific and Technical Information

To sign off this list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu and type "signoff networker" in the body of the email. Please write to networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT edu if you have any problems with this list. You can access the archives at http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/networker.html or via RSS at http://listserv.temple.edu/cgi-bin/wa?RSS&L=NETWORKER