Networker

Re: [Networker] onbar retention on logs

2006-11-10 02:49:07
Subject: Re: [Networker] onbar retention on logs
From: Tim Verbois <Tim.Verbois AT ET.VLAANDEREN DOT BE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 08:43:23 +0100
Darren,

I already found a solution, maybe there is a better way, so I will explain what I found so far.

Since it is an onbar process, there is no save command. The extra options are not possible. I can add the variable NSR_GROUP to the scripts of informix (log_full.sh) that starts the onbar process. It will then communicate the NSR_GROUP to the backup server. That backup server will check a client by that name in that group. If it finds that client, it will use the retention policy of that client. So I made a dummy client with the right retention policy. I don't know if this is the "right way", but it works. Any better suggestions are welcome off course.

Thanx,

Tim

Darren Dunham wrote:
we have a system that uses onbar to backup informix DB servers with
Legato.  The informix server initiates the backup of its log files itself,
how can I set the retention policy to a different one as the default (the
default is the same as the normal backups of the informix server (10
years) ).

How is it initiating the backup?  Is it contacting the master to launch
a savegroup, or is it firing 'save' directly from the client?

Is it possible to change the retention policy without changing it manually
with nsrmm?

'save' takes -e and -w arguments to set the retention and browse policy
for the saveset explicitly.

"signoff networker" in the