Networker

[Networker] DDS prioritize drives

2006-11-05 08:30:15
Subject: [Networker] DDS prioritize drives
From: backup <backup AT ZWEISTRA DOT NL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 14:22:15 +0100
We have an environment that is large in terms of the number of devices.

Each drive real or virtual is a legato device and you are limited to 512
device per backup-zone max (yes we are almost there :-()

Due to this fact we are rearranging and eliminating some devices.

Our question is this.

Can you prioritize  Dynamic drives,

In the normal automatic backup (not scripted)

Say we have three machines and 4 dynamic drives

Machine A is using DD1 and DD2

Machine B is using DD2 and DD3

Machine C is using DD3 and DD4

We want to be sure that in normal circumstances each machine uses the left
drive first for obvious reasons.

All three machines have to backup a 3 Tb filesystem (one saveset) NDMP so no
multiplexing etc.

Assume we have to start all backup approx. at the same time due to backup
window

Worst case scenario here

Machine A uses DD2 and Machine C uses DD3 so machine B has to wait on both
12hour backups before is can start.