Networker

Re: [Networker] re Cloning and setting new browse time

2006-11-02 11:37:48
Subject: Re: [Networker] re Cloning and setting new browse time
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 08:26:03 -0800
> We had looked at keeping on line copies on disk and taking a copy off
> site, but with 7.2 the retention times for an original and either staged
> or cloned copy was the same. As I understand it, the database was
> modified in 7.3, allowing separate retention times for multiple copies
> of a save set, allowing a disk copy to have a short retention time, and
> an offsite tape copy for example to have a longer retention time.

Right.  Multiple copies on tape, multiple retention periods.  So the
separate copies can be recycled at independent times.

> As I understand it, even if we go to 7.3, we are still going to be hit
> by the browse time for multiple copies ? I would have though there would
> be a one -to-one relationship to unique saveset copies for browse times
> as there it for retention times ?

I don't see why there should be.

There's only one copy of the file information (in the online catalog),
so there's only one browse period.  There's not a separate copy of the
file index for each clone.

How would making multiple browse periods for a cloned saveset help you?

> I ask, because we will be hit by this if this problem still exists and
> there is no workaround.

How does this problem affect you?  I would assume that you would set the
browse period to be equal to the longest you will require being able to
browse.