Networker

Re: [Networker] LTO-3 Drives?

2006-11-01 19:25:26
Subject: Re: [Networker] LTO-3 Drives?
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 18:17:42 -0600
In regard to: RE: [Networker] LTO-3 Drives?, Peter Viertel said (at 10:45am...:

7.2.1 - solaris 9 / LTO-3 no probs for almost a year now...   And I was
also kind of puzzled when the release notes for 7.3.2 say they've added
LTO-3 support..

Perhaps you just solved the mystery.

If the 7.3.x development tree was split from the other development tree
before 7.2.1, and I'm pretty certain it was, then LTO-3 support would have
to be added seperately (or at least ported/merged from one branch to the
other) to each of the lines of development.

It's possible that the team working on what became 7.2.1 added LTO-3
support, but that same support wasn't added to the 7.3.x line of
development until 7.3.2.  Of course, that doesn't say good things about
feature (or bug fix!) parity between the two lines, if something that
7.2.x had for a year or more is just now making it into 7.3.x.

I'm guessing that the support person that Eddie talked to was just
saying that if you're at 7.3.x, you must upgrade to 7.3.2 to get LTO-3
support, not that 7.3.2 is the only version of the product that has LTO-3
support.

Ultimately, "support" for LTO-3 isn't that critical anyway, since one can
just define LTO-3 drives as lto2 within NetWorker and they'll function
just fine.  It does mean that tapes in your media database will be marked
with a type other than "LTO Ultrium-3", but that's not a major problem.

Tim