Networker

Re: [Networker] detecting read/write status of tape

2006-10-31 21:58:03
Subject: Re: [Networker] detecting read/write status of tape
From: Rolf <rolf AT SES.TAS.GOV DOT AU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 13:54:06 +1100
hi

Thanks for the responses but I can't find any reference in NSR device to the actual read/write status as determined by the tab on the tape.

As suggested i did mount the volume but nsrwatch does not report its status consistently with respect to the tab. It reports write enabled but that is set at the Networker level (the tape's read only tab was set), presumably using the read only instruction to nsrmm Similarly nsradmin's output from querying type: NSR device shows read and write attributes, set to enabled.

The closest I can get to determining the tab setting was to attempt to write to the tape and read the output. I did this by attempting to label it:

nsrmm -y -l SOMELABEL which failed with the useful error "DRIVE_STATUS_WRITE_PROTECT". I could act on this, though it seems a little clumsy. Furthermore labelling a tape is destructive, which I would prefer such a test of its read/write status not to be.

If I did indeed test by attempting a write and monitored the output and hence could act on seeing that error, what would be a simple way to write to the end of the tape some small trivial data that if succeeded would not affect the integrity of the other data, and if fails with that error, answers the query?

I ask as I don't know quite enough to manipulate the volume at this low a level.

thanks again

r.

I can't seem to find a way to determine the read only or read write
status of an LTO2 tape.  Using Solaris.  mt won't tell me.

I thought nsrmm would report the status but I can't see how if it can.

No, it can't.  That information isn't stored in the database.  Such
information isn't required, and it could change without the server
knowing, so storing it isn't useful.  You have to check on each mount.

If anyone knows how to find out the status of the read/write tab in a
form suitable for incorporation into a script I'd be most grateful.

Ugh, I'm well away from my test system, so I can't flip a tab to
investigate.

I believe that (when mounted), the state appears in the GUI and
nsrwatch.  If true, then I'd wager that either the 'NSR device' or the
'NSR' resources would have the information.  I just don't see the
correct field by a quick scan at the manual.

--
Darren Dunham ddunham AT taos DOT com Senior Technical Consultant TAOS http:// www.taos.com/ Got some Dr Pepper? San Francisco, CA bay area

To sign off this list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu and type "signoff networker" in the body of the email. Please write to networker- request AT listserv.temple DOT edu if you have any problems wit this list. You can access the archives at http:// listserv.temple.edu/archives/networker.html or

This message may contain confidential information which is intended only for
the individual named.
If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or
copy this email.
Please notify the sender immediately by email if you have received this email
by mistake and delete this email from your system.
Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as
incomplete, or contain viruses.
in the contents of this message which arise as a result of email transmission.
If verification is required please request a hard copy version.

"signoff networker" in the