Networker

Re: [Networker] [I] Re: [Networker] Which is the best client/server versions combination now?

2006-10-31 15:04:43
Subject: Re: [Networker] [I] Re: [Networker] Which is the best client/server versions combination now?
From: "King, David" <dking AT EASTMAN DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 14:54:09 -0500
What is a 'ZFS' filesystem?

David L. King

-----Original Message-----
From: EMC NetWorker discussion [mailto:NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Siobhán Ellis
Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2006 5:59 PM
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Subject: [I] Re: [Networker] Which is the best client/server versions
combination now?

Hmmm, well I'd say 7.2.2, but then you have to back up ZFS, that needs 7.3.2.

What you don't say is what OS your NetWorker server is, or how big your
datazone is.

7.3.2 on Linux is terrible, and has scalability issues, even with only 600
clients defined, and no more than 150 in any savegrp - where 7.2.2 worked just
fine! I can't speak for any other OS.

My recommendation would be upgrade the server, first, to 7.2.2. Then only the
clients that need ZFS support should be on 7.3.2. It's not officially
supported, having a higher rev client than the server, but it should work.

Siobhán

On 27/10/06 3:25 AM, "Manel Rodero" <manel AT FIB.UPC DOT EDU> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> At this time we're runing 7.1.4 server and a combination of differente
> 7.1.x clients and we would like to know which is the best
> client/server versions for upgrading to (obviously without problems ;-).
>
> I ask this because I've read many problems with different 7.3
> versions; some message saying that is better to stay at 7.2.1/7.2.2,
> etc. But as we need to be able to backup ACLs under Unix machines and
> zfs filesystems we need to know which is the best combination.
>
> And, which is the best step for migrating, client first or server first?
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> --
>
> o o o  Manel Rodero                   | LCFIB - UPC
> o o o  Systems Manager                | Campus Nord - Modul B6
> o o o  Laboratori de Calcul           | Jordi Girona, 1-3
> U P C  Facultat Informatica Barcelona | 08034 Barcelona (Spain)
>        manel AT fib.upc DOT edu              | Tel: +00 34 93 401 6940
>        http://www.fib.upc.edu/~manel  | Fax: +00 34 93 401 7040

> networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT edu if you have any problems wit
> this list. You can access the archives at
> http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/networker.html or via RSS at
> http://listserv.temple.edu/cgi-bin/wa?RSS&L=NETWORKER

Siobhán

networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT edu if you have any problems wit this