Networker

Re: [Networker] Verifying data written

2006-10-31 09:59:38
Subject: Re: [Networker] Verifying data written
From: Teresa Biehler <tpbsys AT RIT DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 09:47:07 -0500
If the SCSI bus reset has rewound the tape and damaged the label, you
can detect this without using scanner.  There is a parameter in the
jukebox definition that tells it to verify the label each time a tape is
unloaded.  If you view the details of the jukebox, the parameter you're
looking for is "Verify label on unload".  When this is enabled and NW
finds a tape with a label that is unreadable, it will write to the
messages file something like this:

NetWorker media: (info) expected volume '000213' got 'NULL'.

It also will mark all the savesets on that tape as "suspect".  If you
can monitor the log in some fashion (script, etc), you can detect when a
tape is damaged as soon as it happens.

Be aware, however, that this will find any error that causes problems
reading the label.  So, bad tapes or tape drive problems can also
trigger the error.

Enjoy.
Teresa