Networker

Re: [Networker] using backup command on clients

2006-10-26 16:04:19
Subject: Re: [Networker] using backup command on clients
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 12:50:19 -0700
> Fron the nwadmin gui, if you use 'backup command' on a client, rather
> than the generic save, is there a safe way to process the arguments that
> save would have got.

Yes.  Create a wrapper script and use that script to call 'save' after
processing the arguments.

> An example script is for backing up afs. I want my afs-script to
> basically say do exactly what you would have done, but prepend kstart
> $KARGS to it
>
> so instead of doing
>
> save -bunch-of-args fsys1
> save -bunch-of-args fsys2
> ..
> save -bunch-of-args fsysN
>
> it does
>
> kstart $KARGS save -bunch-of-args fsysN

Right.

> I tried making afs-script be a simple shell script and trying to process
> "$@"
>
> i.e in a very basic case
>
> #!/bin/sh
> ARGS="$@"
> touch /tmp/aa
> /usr/bin/echo  "$ARGS"   >> /tmp/aa
>

> but this doesn't seem to work very well.

I'm not sure what you mean by "doesn't seem to work very well".  What
*does* it do?  Does /tmp/aa get created?  Do you see it running?  (What
OS?)  On Solaris you could 'truss' the nsrexecd process to see what it
tries to fire off.

Do note that 'kstart' doesn't appear to be a legal name for the script.

$ man nsr_client
[snip...]
     backup command      (read/write, string)
          The remote command to  run  to  backup  data  for  this
          client and save sets.  This command can be used to per-
          form pre and post backup processing and defaults to the
          save  command.   The  value must not include a path and
          must start with the prefix "save" or "nsr".
          Example: backup command: savemsg;

'kstart' doesn't match that specification.  I tried the same thing but
named 'savetest' and in the correct directory and I do get all the
expected arguments output to the file.