Networker

Re: [Networker] Staffing - Survey

2006-10-23 18:44:13
Subject: Re: [Networker] Staffing - Survey
From: Jon Curtis Bronken <jon.bronken AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 17:29:37 -0500
Nancy Magers wrote:
Hi Legato Listserve

This isn't a legato/networker specific question .... But, how is your organization structured for Backup/Storage Staffing. I'm trying to get an idea of how other organizations deal with the storage/server growth phenomenom - and any information you can provide would be most appreciated. Just so we are talking apples and apples - if you could answer these questions. I know this is a repeat from 2002 - but things have changed a bit in the last 4 years.
1.  How many systems do you backup with Networker?

120

2.  How many Networker Servers (Zones) do you support?

2

3. How many TB's of data do you support?

roughly 16 TB.

4. How many storage nodes / tape devices / libraries ?

2

5. How many full time FTE are dedicated to supporting legato? (please use percentages if partial FTE, for example .5 Windows FTE + .5 Unix FTE)

We don't have a dedicated FT admin, there are 3 of us who work on them with 1 being the main point of contact.

6.  If you do have FTE's assigned to backups what are their job titles?

n/a

7. How is backup monitoring/reporting handled within your organization, centrally through data center or decentrally through systems administrators?

Mainly the Sysadmin get mail on successful or failed backups. I check daily to see what failed.

8. What operating systems are you supporting for servers/storage nodes and clients?

Servers are running Redhat.

We backup Redhat Linux, Novell NetWare 6.5, Novell OES Linux, Windows (NT,2K,and 2003), and Solaris.

9. How many application specific backups do you provide and what type? (e.g. Exchange, Oracle, Etc) 10. Who makes sure your backups work on the weekends and vacations?

Our main backup man -- me, and if I am away one of the other guys.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Nancy Magers
Manager Unix Systems – CIS
Box 1885