Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker Novell Backup Performance

2006-10-16 19:15:22
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker Novell Backup Performance
From: Ryan Tassotti <Ryan.Tassotti AT BRISBANE.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 09:08:20 +1000
>>> A02GAR1 AT WPO.CSO.NIU DOT EDU 16/10/2006 11:57:56 pm >>>

You should also be aware that some of the server based virus scanner
recently started causing the meta-data archive bit to be modified when
doing scheduled scans, which can cause any level backup to basic be a
full.  I am working with McAfee on getting NetShield fixed and have a
engineering build that fixed it but the official patches does appear to
have this working right yet...
-----------------

We saw the same metadata bit being changed with Symantec AV 10.0, after
full system virus scans.  EMC wrote some new binaries which got around
this problem, until we could upgrade to Symantec AV 10.1, which fixed
the problem.  (7.x NetWare client changed the way it looked for file
'changes.'  The 4.x client used the archive bit, where as the 7.x client
now uses the metadata bit.)

btw, big wraps to EMC Support for the work they put in to getting this
problem resolved for us.

   This message has passed through an insecure network.
    Please direct all enquiries to the message author.