Networker

Re: [Networker] backing up a client with virtual IP address...

2006-10-16 12:02:11
Subject: Re: [Networker] backing up a client with virtual IP address...
From: Will Parsons <w.parsons AT LEEDS.AC DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 16:49:15 +0100
Hi Ken,
Think the setting you're looking for is
"save -c server3"
in the "Backup Command" field for server3. This should create a save stream to be recorded in the Client File Index for server3, rather than either of the cluster nodes.

HTH.
Will

Ken Kleiner wrote:

Hello,

We have 2 linux file servers that use heatbeat for failover. When one server becomes primary, it mounts mirrored data as local data (using DRBD) and gets assigned the virtual IP. The other server is obviously a secondary at that point and therefore
no longer has the mirrored data mounted.

We have set up networker server client entry for server1 and server2 and can back up their non mirrored data just fine (/ , /usr, etc). The issue is with the mirrored data.

We set up a client entry for 'server3 (the virtual ip that maps to a valid dns entry)'. When it runs the backup for that virutal ip, the client that has that ip responds but networker doesn't see a valid backup for 'server3:save-set-name' and does a full backup. It then writes the backup as completed, BUT UNDER THE INDEX FOR WHATEVER CLIENT WAS PRIMARY. That is what I think is causing networker to not
see an existing backup for 'server3:save-set-name'.

    We use Networker 7.2 on a linux server.

Can somebody help with this? It's going to get real problematic once we move over 2 TB of data there! Thanks...

Ken Kleiner
System Manager
UMass Lowell
Computer Science Department
(978) 934-3645
ken AT cs.uml DOT edu

To sign off this list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu and type "signoff networker" in the body of the email. Please write to networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT edu if you have any problems wit this list. You can access the archives at http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/networker.html or

w.parsons AT leeds.ac DOT uk
UNIX Support
Information Systems Services
The University of Leeds