Networker

Re: [Networker] savegroup completion notices separate success and fail?

2006-10-13 11:48:39
Subject: Re: [Networker] savegroup completion notices separate success and fail?
From: Dave Mussulman <mussulma AT UIUC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 10:40:30 -0500
On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 03:10:07PM +1100, Rolf wrote:
> Our savegroup completion notification is an email to admins.  We
> would like to refine the way this works if possible.
>
> Is there are way of distinguishing between such messages? I am
> assuming it is to do with the priority settings in the notifications
> section but if so I can't find any reference to what it is.

As others mentioned, you don't have a lot of flexibilty in the report
inside Networker.  It's more common to process the file outside of
Networker, either with mail tools or scripts.

I send my notifications through a perl script that mails the
original/unmodified message, and then 'replies' to it with a followup
report with interesting things I need to see: reminders for action on
leveled backup runs, notification when clients fail to backup but don't
show up in the fail list*, failed client list, full backups (presumably
to incremental tapes,) abandonded save sets, large incrementals, clients
that took a long time to backup, clients with files too large to backup,
clients with open file errors, unsynchronized clocks, etc.

I've got a working list of my Networker scripts and utilities up at
https://agora.cs.uiuc.edu/x/YAE  The email-saveset script I have is one
of the few resources I've got linked into that page.  I don't know if it
would work in everyone's environment, and it's not the cleanest perl
code, but sometime it's helpful to see what other people have done.
Eventually, I hope to link in the tools and report generation tools as a
resource for other admins.

I'm on the digest, so I'm a little delayed, but let me know if you have
any questions or feedback.  (Or what on that list people would like to
see next.)

Dave

* this was the real reason this script was written, but I haven't seen
this condition hit in a long time.  Used to happen pretty regularly
under 6.0.2, and the symptom would be that only the index was backed up
for the client (no client disks,) with no error notifications.