Networker

Re: [Networker] Quickest restore method

2006-10-10 05:15:56
Subject: Re: [Networker] Quickest restore method
From: Denis <denis.mail.list AT FREE DOT FR>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 11:27:16 +0200
Selon Patricio Mora <patricio.mora.ext AT JUNTADEANDALUCIA DOT ES>:

> Hello all, I need some advice. The case is this:
>
> I have saved 80,000,000 files into 20 LTO2 tapes, near 3.5 TB, with
> Networker version 7.0
> The save was done with "No index save" option activated (-S option to
> 'save' command), because i dont want this huge information into my
> Networker indexes (it is all mounted read only, raid 5 protected, and it
> comes from 900 DVDs i still store here)
>
> I now have to restore them in my backup center, different Networker
> Server (version 7.3) The question is: do i have to run scanner over the
> 20 tapes before i'll be able to restore anything from them? Or there
> exists some method which directly scans and restore them al in one time?
>
> I've read about scanner's -x option. 'man scanner' says it 'extracts',
> but extracts all contents or only indexes? Is this what i have to use,
> passing all ssids within each tape? What happens when the save set
> reaches one tape's EOF and extends to a second one?
>
> TIA.
Hello,

Networker saves bootstrap information after each savegroup if it cannot find
itself in a group.

So if you have deleted the client which saves the server, or if its group is
disabled, Networker, to be secure, saves bootstrap after any save.

Check for modifications about the server (as a client).

Hope this helps.

Denis