Networker

[Networker] Quickest restore method

2006-10-09 07:46:27
Subject: [Networker] Quickest restore method
From: Patricio Mora <patricio.mora.ext AT JUNTADEANDALUCIA DOT ES>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 13:42:44 +0200
Hello all, I need some advice. The case is this:

I have saved 80,000,000 files into 20 LTO2 tapes, near 3.5 TB, with Networker version 7.0 The save was done with "No index save" option activated (-S option to 'save' command), because i dont want this huge information into my Networker indexes (it is all mounted read only, raid 5 protected, and it comes from 900 DVDs i still store here)

I now have to restore them in my backup center, different Networker Server (version 7.3) The question is: do i have to run scanner over the 20 tapes before i'll be able to restore anything from them? Or there exists some method which directly scans and restore them al in one time?

I've read about scanner's -x option. 'man scanner' says it 'extracts', but extracts all contents or only indexes? Is this what i have to use, passing all ssids within each tape? What happens when the save set reaches one tape's EOF and extends to a second one?

TIA.

Allan Nelson wrote:
Hi Martin When you say you back them up at different times, do you mean...

a) You backup SERVER1 at one time, SERVER2 at another etc
or
b) You backup SERVER1-VOL1 at one time, SERVER1-VOL2 at another time?

I'm guessing the latter?  Which would be a pain for us - I'd have to set up
multiple versions of each client for a start.

I take it nobody's tried back revving TCP?

I'll be loggin this call on Monday morning.  Anyone else already logged it, so
I could quote the log number?

For info, I've installed NW65SP5UPD1 (Beta) on a test server - that backed up
OK last night, but I'd need to leave it for a week or so before I was confident
it has fixed the problem.
As well as 2 fixes we already had installed (NSS and NWOS) it also patches NWLIB and WSOCK (6i).
Cheeers... Allan.

"Martin Hofmann" <almhund AT almhund DOT de> 10/08/06 6:49 AM >>>
Hi Allan,

We have 4 Netware Machines with SP5 but sometimes we have the same case. We
"fix" the case when we backup the volumes at different time. When we Backup
it on the same time i have the same case as you. But we have a Netware
Cluster with Cluster Volumes and no Single Servers or Standalone Volumes.

Best Regards Martin