Networker

Re: [Networker] 7.3.2 Migration Updates?

2006-10-03 20:02:18
Subject: Re: [Networker] 7.3.2 Migration Updates?
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 18:56:40 -0500
In regard to: [Networker] 7.3.2 Migration Updates?, Albert Eddie Contractor...:

Now it time to get updates on your migration stories. Tell us the good,
the bad and the ugly.

One of my coworkers just migrated one of our two NetWorker servers to
7.3.2 today.  There are only a few (less-important) clients on that
server, and we haven't updated them to the 7.3.2 client software yet.
We haven't been running it long enough to know much about it, though
the backups and staging he's tried have worked without incident.

One thing that people shouldn't discount: even if 7.3.2 turns out to be
very stable, just the training and retraining that's going to be necessary
for 7.3.2 is no small undertaking.  I saw the GUI last December, so I knew
it was going to be a big change, but after looking at it for a while
today, I know I'm going to be completely lost for quite a while.

In other words, don't take the training aspect of this migration lightly.

If anyone has compiled a list of

- what was possible with the "green GUI" that's not possible with the
  pretty new Java GUI

- what's possible (e.g. lots of reports) with the pretty new Java GUI
  that wasn't possible with the green GUI

and

- a "Rosetta stone" that compares menu path navigation to accomplish
  particular tasks (old gui vs. new gui)

that would be a truly useful document to have.  Anyone done something
like that?

Tim (who didn't care one whit that the green GUI wasn't "pretty")
--
Tim Mooney                                           Tim.Mooney AT ndsu DOT edu
Information Technology Services                      (701) 231-1076 (Voice)

"signoff networker" in the