Networker

Re: [Networker] large /nsr/index directories

2006-09-28 20:09:50
Subject: Re: [Networker] large /nsr/index directories
From: Rachel Polanskis <r.polanskis AT UWS.EDU DOT AU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 09:58:07 +1000
On Thu, 28 Sep 2006, Teresa Biehler wrote:

> For those of you with large environments, how do you manage space for
> /nsr/index?  Do you use a single file system (i.e. all the client index
> files into /nsr/index)?  If so, have you had problems with reboots
> causing long outages while that file system is checked (assuming you are
> using ufs)?  Do you move some client index directories to alternate
> locations and use the "client index path" field in the client
> definition?  If so, do you find this difficult to manage?  Have you
> needed to create any special processes to handle this?

We have a Sun V890 and filled its disk enclosure with 143Gb disks.

Then we used 9 of the disks to create a RAID5 disk pool of 7 disks,
with 2 hot spares.

This gives us nearly a terabyte in one disk enclosure, with 2
hot spares for protection.   We also enable journalling
on this volume and it is fairly robust.

Some of our indexes are 30-40Gb Daily so this setup works well for us.

It's not high performance disk though - but works well enough
for the purpose!   Resilience is more important in this regard.

--
Rachel Polanskis                Systems Admin, University of Western Sydney
ADD Werrington North Campus     (+61 2) 9678 7291  <r.polanskis AT uws.edu DOT