Networker

Re: [Networker] large /nsr/index directories

2006-09-28 10:11:32
Subject: Re: [Networker] large /nsr/index directories
From: Randy Doering <rdoering2 AT VERIZON DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 06:47:11 -0700
Our current /nsr/index directory is currently 865GB, and I've just been adding
more 200GB Luns to it has necessary. We have a few file systems that contain
millions (60+) of files.

  A month or so ago, I changed the browse/retention from Quarter/Quarter to
Month/Quarter hoping that that will help with the size. Results to come later.

  I don't think our previous version of Networker (7.2.1 on Tru64) had this
sort of problem - we are currently RH AS4 with Networker 7.3.2.

  Randy

Teresa Biehler <tpbsys AT RIT DOT EDU> wrote:
  As we've added more and more clients, our /nsr/index directory has
gotten large (200 GB). We need to create more space for the client
index directories and are weighing the pros and cons of expanding
/nsr/index vs creating a new file system and moving some of our clients
to that alternate location.

For those of you with large environments, how do you manage space for
/nsr/index? Do you use a single file system (i.e. all the client index
files into /nsr/index)? If so, have you had problems with reboots
causing long outages while that file system is checked (assuming you are
using ufs)? Do you move some client index directories to alternate
locations and use the "client index path" field in the client
definition? If so, do you find this difficult to manage? Have you
needed to create any special processes to handle this?

Thanks.

Teresa