Networker

Re: [Networker] scanner -i on multiple tapes at the same time?

2006-09-20 14:58:18
Subject: Re: [Networker] scanner -i on multiple tapes at the same time?
From: jortiz AT HOUSTON.RR DOT COM
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 13:55:30 -0500
John,

It depends on your version of NetWorker and how the client data is
spread out on your tapes.  I've had to do this a lot in the current
project I'm working on.

With NW 6.1.x, you can usually scan up to about 4 tapes at one time
before you run into media index corruption.  I'm not sure if you can do
more with 7.x.x. Since it's media index structure is different, it might
be more resilient and allow you to scan more tapes at one time.

In general, if you are working with a select number of clients, you
should have only  one scan running for each client that you are
recovering.  This avoids a lock conflict when trying to update the
individual client index.

Joseph Ortiz
DSMCS, Inc.