Networker

Re: [Networker] Protecting specific volumes / pools

2006-09-15 06:07:04
Subject: Re: [Networker] Protecting specific volumes / pools
From: Howard Martin <howard.martin AT EDS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 05:55:07 -0400
On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 13:02:58 -0400, Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote:

>On Sep 13, 2006, at 12:21 PM, Werth, Dave wrote:
>
>> Steve,
>>
>> If it's important enough you might want to look into WORM (Write
>> Once Read
>> Many) technology for these backups.  That would insure the media
SNIP
>> you to lose that information
>
>Dave, you bring up an interesting point. This topic underscores the
>need for all of us to make our respective management aware of the
>distinction between backups and archives. This is a point I am
>constantly reminding my colleagues about.
>
>I point out that our backups serve one and only one purpose: to
>recover a server in the event of a disaster with minimal data loss.
>Those who want to implement an archive solution, need to look at
>options other than traditional backup technologies, as you suggested.

Totally agree with Stan re difference between archives and disaster
mitigation. However tape can still be acceptable for archiving if your
design is right, more important is making sure you can still access data
after 7 years and still have an application (and hardware to run the
application) to use it!