Networker

Re: [Networker] libgcc_s.so.1 from legato 7.2.1 on RHEL4

2006-08-29 16:42:39
Subject: Re: [Networker] libgcc_s.so.1 from legato 7.2.1 on RHEL4
From: Scott Russell <lnxgeek AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 16:33:56 -0400
Dag Nygren wrote:
The right way o do thisios of course setting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
environment variable to /usr/lib/nar before starting the networker
parts.

Unfortunately, it looks more complex than that. Since the lgtonode package is what set the path in ld.so.conf, I decided to run this command to see what from lgtonode makes use of /usr/lib/nsr:

   rpm -ql lgtonode | grep sbin | xargs ldd | less

Turns out many of the cli tools, not just long running daemons, want to use the libs from /usr/lib/nsr. To fix this on my own I think I would need a metric-a**-load of wrapper scripts before I could remove that line from /etc/ld.so.conf. I think the other possible option is to create a new user account that would have enough privileges to run networker cli tools. That account would have a custom LD_LIBRARY_PATH set as you suggest. I could then remove the path from ld.so.conf so long as networker tools ran under the user account I created.

I don't do much with C, but as a guess it sounds like Legato/EMC should be linking their dynamic libs with an rpath set to avoid the need to put the path into the system config.

--
Scott Russell <lnxgeek AT us.ibm DOT com>
IBM Linux Technology Center, System Admin

"signoff networker" in the