Networker

Re: [Networker] waiting for 1 writable volumes to backup pool 'Default'

2006-08-25 11:58:56
Subject: Re: [Networker] waiting for 1 writable volumes to backup pool 'Default'
From: Pascal Rijs <pascal.rijs AT UNILEVER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 11:54:06 -0400
On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 09:13:24 -0400, John Ryder <jsr AT UVM DOT EDU> wrote:

>Hello:
>
>This message just recently popped up on our Alert screen:
>
>  media critical event: Waiting for 1 writable volumes to backup pool
>  'Default' tape(s) or disk(s) on koala.uvm.edu
>
>We can't mount a tape for the Default pool because we don't have one
>defined. Further, koala is a storage node with two raids attached but no
>tape drives.
>
>This usually happens when I've messed up the config for a new client or
>when some user is doing a save command without specifying the pool name
>parameter. All the nightly backups are running fine. I'm stumped.
>
>My question: any way to tell who is asking for this?  that is, how can I
>find a client name, user name, or savegrp name connected with this mount
>request, so I can bug someone (maybe myself!).
>
>Thanks for your thoughts.
>Solaris 9 Networker 7.2.2
>
>John Ryder, Systems Administrator, Computing and Information Technology,
>            University of Vermont, John.Ryder AT uvm DOT edu 802-656-1183
>
>To sign off this list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu and
type "signoff networker" in the
>body of the email. Please write to networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT
>edu
if you have any problems
>wit this list. You can access the archives at
>via RSS at http://listserv.temple.edu/cgi-bin/wa?RSS&L=NETWORKER

You could search you configuration for groups linked to the 'Default' pool
and or clients configured with "server network interface": koala.uvm.edu.

This can be made easier by using the nsradmin tool to save portions of
config information to a text file. For example; we use the following:

nsradmin -i configexport_input.txt >configexport_output.txt

in which the configexport_input.txt file contains:

p type: NSR
p type: NSR jukebox
p type: NSR client
p type: NSR device
p type: NSR directive
p type: NSR group
p type: NSR label
p type: NSR notification
p type: NSR policy
p type: NSR license

(in this case you don't need all of them)

nsradmin also allows you to re-install a legato server from scratch within
one hour, by using the config exports from the old installation.