Networker

Re: [Networker] New-Bee?: restoring from BU Srvr A -> BU Srvr B

2006-08-17 08:51:36
Subject: Re: [Networker] New-Bee?: restoring from BU Srvr A -> BU Srvr B
From: Conrad Macina <conrad.macina AT PFIZER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 08:45:41 -0400
First things first: What religion recommends against coffee? One of my
favorite lines from "Guys and Dolls" is when the old Salvation Army guy
says, "Coffee is *so* good. It's a wonder it's not sinful." Hey, if it's
good for the Salvation Army ...

Anyway, on to your question.

Seems to me you have two choices: you can do a disaster recovery, reading in
the New York server's bootstrap tape via mmrecov, or you can read the data
tapes from New York directly using scanner. There are advantages and
disadvantages to both.

mmrecov is faster, but it will overwrite the media database, so be sure to
take a backup copy if you want the Hawaii server to resume backing up its
regular clients after the drill. There's a good discussion of the process in
the NetWorker Disaster Recovery guide.

scanner is slow. Really slow. But AFAIK it's the only way to incorporate
tapes from one data zone into another while keeping the target server
running, and it's your only option if the Aloha Server has to back up
clients during the test. See the man page or the discussion in the Admin Guide.

Good luck!

Conrad Macina
Pfizer, Inc.

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 10:43:31 -0400, Albert Eddie Contractor AFRPA CIO/IT
<Eddie.Albert AT AFRPA.PENTAGON.AF DOT MIL> wrote:

>My apologies, I am not at 6.2.1 I am at 7.2.1.
>
>You know you convert to a religion that recommends you don't drink
>coffee and effects performance while you adjust. <Grin>
>
>I asked EMC Support about the upgrade to 7.2.2 but EMC Support
>recommended waiting for 7.3.2 and just perform the upgrade (I prefer to
>call it MIGRATION) then.  /ALE

"signoff networker" in the
>body of the email. Please write to networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT
>edu if
you have any problems