Networker

Re: [Networker] Not all tapes are fully used

2006-08-16 19:47:36
Subject: Re: [Networker] Not all tapes are fully used
From: Tim Nicholson <tim AT MAIL.USYD.EDU DOT AU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 09:44:58 +1000
Nico,

There is another reason why you might not get quite as much data on them.

I run LTO 1 and now some LTO 2 drives.  We use client side compression
so hardware compression is turned off.  I usually get 103GB to 104GB on
a tape.  My tapes are nearly always written as clones from a adv_file
disk devices.  We back up to disk, then clone and stage to tape to
make two copies.

If I overstretch the disk drives feeding the tapes, the tape drives
start writing at a slightly lower speed.  This also happens if I am
backing up direct to tape from clients that cannot keep the drive
streaming.  This will cause the tape to get lower utilisations.
Usually this is only a few percent, 102GB down to high 90s.  Tape
errors however cause much more significant reductions in capacity
depending on where the error occurs.  I reckon on not recycling these
tape.  The last save set on these tapes is usually marked "suspect".

I was told once that the drives have two methods of coping with data
not being received fast enough.  One is to stop, back up and start
again (this often known as shoe shining).  The other method is to add
some padding somewhere (the details were not explained to me), but I
assumed it was in inter-record markers.

Tim.