Networker

Re: [Networker] Decision Time for Networker v7.3.x

2006-08-14 18:51:11
Subject: Re: [Networker] Decision Time for Networker v7.3.x
From: Siobhán Ellis <siobhanellis AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 08:48:43 +1000
Patti,

What you don't say is how many clients. I have a customer running RHEL3 and
7.3.1 and it is not production quality.

We cannot get a group of over 180 clients to run sucessfully
Every time we restart it, we have to kill nsrmmgd (it restarts) so the
library works
We've had to have debug versions of code for it to work (Stripped versions
fail)

I'd not recommend it on Linux at all

On Windows, in a small environment, I've had some success.

The company I work for doe snot recommend it to any of our customers.

Siobhán Ellis
Professional Services Consultant
IDATA Integrity Pty Ltd
Sydney, Australia

On 15/8/06 1:46 AM, "Clark, Patricia" <Clarkp AT OSTI DOT GOV> wrote:

> We are going to be migrating our current Networker system from Sun
> Solaris 9, NW v7.2.1-1 to Red Hat Enterprise Linux.  We are also in the
> process of moving our support to EMC/Legato.  I'm at a point where I
> need to install the OS and the decision is this, stay with NW v7.2.x
> which requires installing RHEL3 or bite the bullet and go to NW v7.3.x
> which would allow me to install RHEL4.  If I do the "safe" thing, it
> will require an OS upgrade in the probable near future AND a NW upgrade.
>
> Our current setup is relatively simple, 1 server, 1 tape library, no
> additional nodes, no cloning, no special modules.  Right now, we backup
> Linux, Solaris, and OS X clients on a 6 month tape rotation cycle.  We
> will be adding our Windows servers to the clients.
>
> The question, is the latest Networker v7.3.x stable enough?  I don't
> have a test environment to play with and starting up fresh with a new
> server is the closest thing that I will have to having some elbow room.
> I've been reading the various postings with keen interest since we have
> other technical reasons to move forward.  Comments?  Have things settled
> down some?
>
> Much appreciated,
> Patti Clark
> Unix System Administrator - RHCT
> Office of Scientific and Technical Information

> type
> "signoff networker" in the
> body of the email. Please write to networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT
> edu if
> you have any problems
> wit this list. You can access the archives at

Siobhán