Networker

Re: [Networker] Solaris9 to Solaris10

2006-08-01 11:28:55
Subject: Re: [Networker] Solaris9 to Solaris10
From: "Faidherbe, Thierry" <Thierry.Faidherbe AT HP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 17:27:48 +0200
Yes, did similar things more than once on different
OSes and your procedure looks like ok !

Verify just tape device naming to be consistent between both
servers and/or adapt changer path if path is not same [email protected]
addr. Compare using inquire output (/etc/LGTOscsi/inquire if I am right)

I would just add :

* save res and mm directories (to a tar or zip) before starting
networker on its new home (with nsrd down). In case of trouble
with lics or DNS settings that may corrupt resdb, then you will be
faster back on track. And unmount all volumes from all devices
(excepted file or Adv_file devices) before shutting down networker.

* force a bootstrap on an empty tape (or with no other backup).
If you have to recover from mminfo or scan the tape, it will be
faster. If your indexes are not to big, force also a full
index backup. (create a temp group, define all your clients as
member of that group, define the temp group in a pool (if it is the
case)).
Then launch manually one or more tape mount in correct
pool on your backup server and launch
        savegrp -O -l full -N <wanted parallelism> <TMP_GRP_NAM>
Set with -N <wanted parallelism> as "-N 8" or "-N 10" depending
how many devices you will be using (best is sum your per device target
sessions) to have more devices being writing.

Once finished, unload all of the backup server tapes,
force a bootstrap (savegrp -O -l full -c <backup server> <TMP_GRP_NAME>)
after having manually loaded and relabelled a recyclable tape or loaded
an empty one (to be sure networker to use that tape as no mount request
to perform, volume being already mounted )

Good luck,

TH

Kind regards - Bien cordialement - Vriendelijke groeten,

Thierry FAIDHERBE

HP Services - Storage Division
Tru64 Unix and Legato Enterprise Backup Solutions Consultant

 *********       *********   HEWLETT - PACKARD
 *******    h      *******   1 Rue de l'aeronef/Luchtschipstraat
 ******    h        ******   1140 Bruxelles/Brussel/Brussels
 *****    hhhh  pppp *****
 *****   h  h  p  p  *****   100/102 Blv de la Woluwe/Woluwedal
 *****  h  h  pppp   *****   1200 Bruxelles/Brussel/Brussels
 ******      p      ******   BELGIUM
 *********       *********   Phone :    +32 (0)2  / 729.85.42
                             Mobile :   +32 (0)498/  94.60.85
                             Fax :      +32 (0)2  / 729.88.30
     I  N  V  E  N  T        Email/MSN : thierry.faidherbe(at)hp.com
                             Internet  : http://www.hp.com/