Networker

Re: [Networker] Solstice help needed

2006-08-01 04:50:44
Subject: Re: [Networker] Solstice help needed
From: "Wood, R A (Bob)" <WoodR AT CHEVRON DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 09:46:58 +0100
Karnash,
        So many questions! I've replied within the text but you should
seriously consider going on a training course. A 5 day introduction to
Networker (and the backup world in general) would repay dividends.

Good luck
Bob

You would have to recreate your backup server at the DR location by
building the appropriate machine(same hardware and OS0 the doing an
MMRECOV from the tape with the bootstrap record on it. (See EMC website
and look at the DR documentation)

>   How can I configure that some other machine in a different
>state can recover from the tapes. Even if so, do I need
>another HP Sure Storage 4/40 to read the tapes ??? If not how
>can I have a DR plan.
As above, you would recreate your backup server. Yes you will need a
tape device, it doesn't have to be identical to the original but as
close as possible helps with drivers, etc.

>   The HP Sure Storage 4/40 has 40 slots. I am now aware what
>is the mailslot and what is the cleaning tape. We use barcode
>reader and I have stickers from a company called Tri Optic for
>the data tapes but I do not have any labels for the cleaning
>tape. Can you advise me what is the cleaning tape and the mail
>slot used for.
Used for importing or withdrawing tapes to/from the library without
opening the front door

>   How can I order more labels for the cleaning tape and once
>I receive them, how do I tell Solistice to recognize it (Do I
>do an inventory) Also which slot should the cleaning tape go to.

You can order media that has barcode labels already applied (cost a bit
extra but may be worth it).
If you have barcode reader then, in the jbconfig, set the 'labels match
barcode' setting to yes. When you label a new tape networker will use
the barcode label as the tape label.
Cleaning tapes have a label that starts CLNnnn where nnn is a number.
If you set the library to autoclean then networker will put aside the
last slot for a cleaning tape (some libraries have a specific slot for
cleaning tapes)
Or you could leave it out and import and load it when cleaning required

>   What is the normal life of these tapes. I assume they have
>not been changed in last 4 years. How can I tell they are
>expired or if they need replacement. I do not want to be in a
>situation that the tape from where I want to recover, is
>corrupt or damaged.
Shelf life? Well there are varying views on this. Some say that, due to
the earth's magnetic field, tapes loose 10% of their ability to retain
data each year. Others say replace every 5 years.
It is up to you, how important is the data? Important enough for you to
copy it from one piece of media to another every few years?
How do you know if data is still ok? Do a sample restore, this will give
you a good indication of whether the media is deteriorating or not.

>   Solstice is running on UNIX. I am not unix admin and I
>think I should move it to a Proliant server running Windows
>2003 server configured with RAID 5 so that even if there is
>HDD failure, I can swap the HDD and the raid will build by
>itself. I have licenses for 10 clients. What would be the best
>way to do this.
Using a platform you are familiar with is certainly an advantage. To
move from one OS to another you will need to get in touch with your
reseller and arrange a transfer (there will be costs associated with
this)

>   if I do have a offside group, and run the backup of the
>tapes to the group every week end, I guess I will have to
>change/remove them on Monday and send them. Isn't it.
Isn't it?

>   What is cloning. Is that similar to doing an offside backup group ?
Cloning is making a copy of the data (for such purposes as sending
offsite so you have the data onsite for recoveries if required)

>   As a newbie what can I check to make sure the backup's are
>fine and incase of a recovery scenario, I am not found
>unprepared and lose my job. I do /usr/sbin/nsr/mminfo -t
>'yesterday' to check the files backed up over night. What else
>do I need to check.
If you really want to be prepared you should convince your boss to fork
out for some training

>   Can  you give me a DR plan that I can try and implement. I
>am thinking of having a test machine (each of UNIX & NT) and
>back them and then thrash them and do a recover. Any guidance
>on doing this.
There are many companies making lots of money doing just this, I suggest
you do a bit of research yourself (start with a google search on
disaster recovery plan and see what you get.
As far as having a test machine, yes it is a good idea, get used to
doing bare metal restores, restore a different client each time so you
get to experience any quirks associated with that client, document the
steps you took and the issues you encountered. These notes will form the
nucleus of your recovery plan.

>   What happens in the scenario that the backup server which
>runs the Solstice software has a HDD crash. How can I recover
>files then ??
This is all documented in the disaster recovery documentation on the EMC
website

>   Sorry to ask so many questions, but I do not know who can
>help me. I am trying to get some help on Solstice from a
>couple of months and I would appreciate if you could guide me.

You need to get some formal training, there really is no substitute for
it.