Networker

Re: [Networker] Solstice help needed

2006-08-01 04:00:20
Subject: Re: [Networker] Solstice help needed
From: Ronny Egner <Ronny.Egner AT SIV DOT DE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 09:54:30 +0200
don karnash wrote:
Hi,
I got your mail id from the Networker mailing list at https://listserv.temple.edu. Sorry to write to you directly, but I am very new to the world of Networker and there is no one to help / guide me. So I see your advise. This is what the scenario is: Server OS: Solaris 8
  Networker: Solstice Backup server 6.1
Tape: HP Sure Storage 4/40 with autoloader Now, my doubts are: We user the Ultrium tapes with 200 GB capacity. But when I do a media check, I get the following:
# mminfo –m
     volume               written  (%)             expires             read
mounts             capacity
     BD5445L1          109 GB full            08/16/06          0 KB    57
              100 GB
  Why does the capacity show only as 100 GB. How can I change it to recognize
as 200 GB. The data tapes are 200 GB Part #: C7971A and the cleaning tapes are:
Part #: C7979A
I have only 2 groups which I backup (NT & UNIX) and I want to have an offside backup, I can create a group called backup and add both my groups to the pool and copy the data every weekend. But if this building catches fire, how will I recover from the tapes that are sitting in a different state. How can I configure that some other machine in a different state can recover from the tapes. Even if so, do I need another HP Sure Storage 4/40 to read the tapes ??? If not how can I have a DR plan. The HP Sure Storage 4/40 has 40 slots. I am now aware what is the mailslot and what is the cleaning tape. We use barcode reader and I have stickers from a company called Tri Optic for the data tapes but I do not have any labels for the cleaning tape. Can you advise me what is the cleaning tape and the mail slot used for. How can I order more labels for the cleaning tape and once I receive them, how do I tell Solistice to recognize it (Do I do an inventory) Also which slot should the cleaning tape go to. What is the normal life of these tapes. I assume they have not been changed in last 4 years. How can I tell they are expired or if they need replacement. I do not want to be in a situation that the tape from where I want to recover, is corrupt or damaged. Solstice is running on UNIX. I am not unix admin and I think I should move it to a Proliant server running Windows 2003 server configured with RAID 5 so that even if there is HDD failure, I can swap the HDD and the raid will build by itself. I have licenses for 10 clients. What would be the best way to do this. if I do have a offside group, and run the backup of the tapes to the group every week end, I guess I will have to change/remove them on Monday and send them. Isn’t it. What is cloning. Is that similar to doing an offside backup group ? As a newbie what can I check to make sure the backup’s are fine and incase of a recovery scenario, I am not found unprepared and lose my job. I do /usr/sbin/nsr/mminfo -t 'yesterday' to check the files backed up over night. What else do I need to check. Can you give me a DR plan that I can try and implement. I am thinking of having a test machine (each of UNIX & NT) and back them and then thrash them and do a recover. Any guidance on doing this. What happens in the scenario that the backup server which runs the Solstice software has a HDD crash. How can I recover files then ?? Sorry to ask so many questions, but I do not know who can help me. I am trying to get some help on Solstice from a couple of months and I would appreciate if you could guide me. Thanks a lot in advance.

Please excuse me, but thats are a lot of question. Answering them would
take some time....

You should start reading the good documentation from emc about
networker. If there are question left after that feel free to contact me...

--

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Ronny Egner

SIV.AG
Konrad-Zuse-Straße 1
18184 Roggentin

Telefon: +49 (0)3 81 / 25 24 422
Telefax: +49 (0)3 81 / 25 24 399

mailto:ronny.egner AT siv DOT de
http://www.siv.de

to whom they are addressed. The views expressed in this
e-mail are those of the individual author and not necessarily
those of SIV.AG.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has
been swept by serval anti-virus tools for the presence
of computer viruses.

"signoff networker" in the