Networker

Re: [Networker] Index File Size?

2006-07-28 15:07:42
Subject: Re: [Networker] Index File Size?
From: John Stoffel <john.stoffel AT TAEC.TOSHIBA DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 15:06:41 -0400
Stuart> The indexes in NetWorker 5 were based on a single, monolithic
Stuart> index for each client.  That hurt performance all round.  From
Stuart> NetWorker 6, each backup creates its own index file.  This
Stuart> way, rather than having to read that half terrabyte index file
Stuart> which John may have had with NW 5, NW 6+ maybe needs to read a
Stuart> 400MB file for the full backup followed by 3x50MB files to
Stuart> recover files from an incremental backup.  Works out much more
Stuart> efficient and, AFAIK, has been rock solid in terms of
Stuart> reliability since 6.0.1.

Well, my indexes were for just a single client, since we're backing up
NetApps with billions (well, it seems like billions!) of files.  So we
do it over NFS.  Not ideal, and we need to re-think, but it works for
now.

And it does scale alot better than it used to under 4.x and 5.x
stuff.  Those versions seriously sucked when indexes got too big.

John