Networker

Re: [Networker] client is not getting index entries written...

2006-07-25 05:51:00
Subject: Re: [Networker] client is not getting index entries written...
From: Stuart Whitby <swhitby AT DATAPROTECTORS.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 10:48:02 +0100
Back to basics first.  Check that the browse policy isn't set by default to
something like "2 minutes" and that the group doesn't have "no index save"
checked.

Thankfully, your server's Solaris.  Get hold of a copy of the appropriate lsof
for your OS version and install it.  Run a backup of this client from a
savegroup.  From the server, run a "ps -ef | grep ADD" to check the PID of the
nsrindexd -ADD process for this client.  Now run "lsof -p <PID>" to identify
whether this is saving to a particular file.  Otherwise, get in touch with
Support (or maybe just a shout to the list) to get a hold of dbgcommand for
Solaris and run 'dbgcommand -p <nsrindexd's PID> "Debug=9"' (the main
nsrindexd, not any of its child processes), run your group, then run
'dbgcommand -p <nsrindexd's PID> "Debug=0"'.  Check the daemon.log afterwards
to see if the main nsrindexd is complaining about anything.  Alternatively (or
as well), run the savegrp for this client from the command line using -vvv to
get more output, and then try again using D3 and D9 on the group if nothing
else has helped as yet.

Main thing that comes to mind is that I'd be surprised if this works if it's
not set up to work that way.  I don't think this will be firewall issues or
similar preventing the client from talking to nsrindexd on the server, or save
just wouldn't understand and would commit some form of binary suicide (hacks
triangular hole out of its memory and waits for OS to decapitate it).  Main
thing to do is to figure out what's configured to save this way.

HTH,

Stuart.