Networker

Re: [Networker] NDMP over network speed question

2006-07-18 08:46:57
Subject: Re: [Networker] NDMP over network speed question
From: bob flynn <bob.flynn AT S3GROUP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 13:43:19 +0100
Thats the bit I am chasing, ie

Are they millions of small files? You will not get a steady strem if
this is the case?

If we are backing up blob data, ie a database, then I should expect a good
backup rate. If its small files, as you mention, then the rate will vary. Is
there any metric or way of determining the ratio I should be getting here ? Can
I see anywhere the data rate that the filer is presenting the data to be backed
up. I think this is the crux of the issue. If networker is simply backing up at
the rate that the data is being presented, then there is nothing I can do other
than stage to disk and then from there to tape to have a steady stream.

If I reduce the granularity of backups, ie the savesets, I assume this will
have no impact, as its the individual files that are still being streamed ?