Networker

Re: [Networker] Index retention and Browse times

2006-07-10 18:20:14
Subject: Re: [Networker] Index retention and Browse times
From: Dave Mussulman <mussulma AT UIUC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 17:17:52 -0500
On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 01:26:25PM -0700, Darren Dunham wrote:
> > If this can't be done what do  I need to do to recover imbedded folders if
> > I know the SSID???
>
> If the saveset was only 'recoverable', you could recover the entire
> saveset to disk and pull the stuff that you wanted from it.
>
> There are also some advanced tricks with piping scanner into uasm to
> only pull out particular folders, but that's quite a bit more
> complicated than the other two methods.

If you know the full path of the file or files you want to restore with
a saveset restore, it's fairly painless to recover just that data.  (At
least with the GUI, which I'm sure is just relaying command line SSID
restore flags.) Setting that to a directory will restore any
subdirectories.  No uasms required.

The nice part about saveset restores is they do not require indexes,
meaning restores can often be done without having to do the nsrck -L7
restore first.  The downside to saveset restores are that they have to
traverse the entire saveset before they finish (to be sure they have all
the files you requested,) and they only have data from that individual
saveset.  If you wanted a point in time from a saveset recover, you'd
want to go back to the last full prior to that and process however many
incrementals were present since then.  (Also, that method of restore
isn't a true point in time because files that were backed up during that
cycle and later deleted would be brought back.)  That wouldn't happen
with an indexed point-in-time backup (I don't think.)

Dave